Home - For migrants - Who can give advice - Lawyers


Website: New Zealand Law Society

A lawyer is permitted to give immigration advice without a licence providing they hold a current practising certificate from the New Zealand Law Society. You can check your lawyer’s certificate and its expiry date using the Register of Lawyers.

Some lawyers specialise in immigration matters.

Employees of a New Zealand lawyer or a law firm, who provide immigration advice in the context of their employment agreement, can also give immigration advice without a licence.

Complaints against lawyers or their employees should be directed to the New Zealand Law Society.

Lawyers, licensed immigration advisers or other exempt persons can represent you to Immigration New Zealand or to the Immigration and Protection Tribunal but only lawyers can represent you if you wish to appeal a decision in a New Zealand court or seek judicial review.

Refugee and protection status claimants and people subject to immigration detention may be eligible for legal aid if represented by a lawyer, but not if represented by a licensed immigration adviser.

Click on an option to find out more.