Home - Do I need a licence? - Education agents

Do I need a licence?

Education agents

To provide New Zealand immigration advice, you must be a licensed immigration adviser or exempt.

Licensed immigration advisers have specialist expertise. They have met competency standards and follow a professional code of conduct.

It’s really important that you do not provide immigration advice to people you are dealing with unless you are licensed or exempt.

Immigration advice includes advising a person on what visa they qualify for, what pathway they could take to work or residence in New Zealand, how best to answer a question in an application form, or using your knowledge of or personal experience in immigration matters to advise, assist, direct or represent a person in any other way.

As an education agent you are exempt only if:

As an education agent you are not exempt if:

We understand that there will be times when your client may require immigration advice that you are not exempt to provide and there are three options available to you in this instance:

If you or your client have any concerns about anyone giving immigration advice without a licence, contact us at the Immigration Advisers Authority as soon as possible.